This unique village is set on its own private peninsula on the southern shores of Snowdonia. Port Meirion Village was created by Welsh architect Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) to demonstrate how naturally beautiful a place could be developed without spoiling it.
Poot Meirion Village is made up of about 50 buildings most of which are used as hotel’s or self-catering accommodation and is surrounded by 70 acres of sub-tropical woodland gardens.
Port Meirion village has several cafes including a Self-Service restaurant, Caffi’r Sgwar, Cadwaladers Ices, Caffi Glas, Castell Deudraeth brasserie and the Hotel Portmeirion dining room (usually booked up on Friday and Saturday lunchtimes for weddings). You can book online for both Castell Deudraeth and The Hotel Portmeirion.
Port Meirion Village is a popular tourist village in Gwynedd, North Wales. It was designed and built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis between 1925 and 1975 in the style of an Italian village, and is now owned by a charitable trust.
The best-known use of the location occurred in 1966–1967 when McGoohan returned to Portmeirion to film the exteriors for The Prisoner, a surreal spy drama in which Portmeirion itself played a starring role as “The Village”, in which McGoohan’s retired intelligence agent, known only as “Number 6”, was incarcerated and interrogated, albeit in pleasant surroundings. On request from Williams-Ellis, Portmeirion was not identified on screen as the filming location until the credits of the final episode of the series, and indeed Williams-Ellis stated that the levy of a reasonable entrance fee was a deliberate ploy to prevent the village from being spoilt by overcrowding. The show, broadcast on ITV in the UK during the Autumn of 1967 and CBS in the United States in the Summer of 1968, became a cult classic, and fans continue to visit Portmeirion, which hosts annual Prisoner fan conventions. The building that was used as the lead character’s home in the series currently operates as a Prisoner-themed souvenir shop. Many of the locations used in The Prisoner are virtually unchanged after more than 40 years.